[Pdns-users] DNSSec for other backends?

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Wed Jan 26 14:17:30 UTC 2011

Hi Nick,

I think that the major benefit of PowerDNS is its ability to
support a wide range of database backends, including LDAP
through Norbert's work. Each of the various backends support
some, most or all of the features of pdns, depending on their
individual driver. The available features are listed in the
documentation provided for each module. If there is a desire
to continue the development for the LDAP backend, then the
users of the backend should work together to provide resources
for improving it. I would rather see a focus on the core SQL
based backends from Bert, and let others vote with their
pocketbooks and development resources to see which backends
will support new features. I believe that consulting and
professional services are available from powerdns.com should
you wish to engage them directly. I look forward to seeing
what the PDNS/LDAP community provide in terms of updates to
the LDAP backend. If nothing is forthcoming, it is certainly
a straightforward process to change backends to a more core
backend. That is the true benefit and versatility of the
PDNS server.

Regards,
Ken