[Pdns-users] DNSSec for other backends?

Nick Milas nmilas at admin.noa.gr
Wed Jan 26 07:49:07 UTC 2011

Hi Bert and all,

I am sure there is some plan (by the powerDNS project managers) to
continue Norbert's great work on the LDAP backend. One of the powerful
features of powerDNS over other products is the strong and elegant
operation with an LDAP backend, which - as I have read in numerous
discussions/forums worldwide - has pushed a lot of DNS admins to migrate
to powerdns/ldap without regrets. One of them is me, having migrated
(with a significant effort) just a few months ago from a wide,
distrubuted, conventional BIND infrastructure to pdns/ldap, inventing
into a totally new architecture for our organization. So, you can
understand my concerns, feeling unsafe with a software whose
maintenance/evolution seemed steady and guaranteed - virtues which are
an absolute necessity for this type of mission-critical software - and
now future appears (at least) a bit unclear...

It's obvious that it's vital for the pdns/ldap software to continue to
evolve, a process which seems somewhat slowed down for a while now (for
the ldap backend), due to Norbert's lack of time.

Any feedback on anticipated developments - a draft roadmap - for the
ldap backend I believe would really help to relieve pressure from the
minds and feelings of a significant number of admins who love powerdns,
have seen a true value in coupling powerdns with ldap, and want to
continue to rely on their pdns/ldap engine.

Thanking Bert, Norbert and all PowerDNS developers and managers, for a
truly unique and remarkable project, I close these notes with a
confidence in Bert's ability to handle/resolve all probable events and
overcome any barriers in keeping all project components at the
cutting-edge of software technology.

All the best,
Nick