[Pdns-users] Multiple IPs per host name / round robin

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Thu Feb 24 17:36:27 UTC 2011

The recursive resolver is what clients talk to "locally".  AKA a
caching resolver, it's not part of your authoritative infrastructure
at all.  In fact, if you're using your authoritative nameservers as
caching resolvers, you should stop.  For most people the recursive
resolver is provided by their ISP unless they elect to run their own
(like I do) or to use an external one (like OpenDNS or Google's DNS).
What makes them recursive is that they answer queries that aren't
necessarily in their cache or known from zone files by "recursing" up
the tree until it finds an answer it knows (either from root hints or
previous cached lookups) then works it's way "back down" the tree to
the answer.