[Pdns-users] Multiple IPs per host name / round robin

PLists jklists at ifm-services.com
Thu Feb 24 17:25:49 UTC 2011

Here's your DNS noob question for the day. (I'm not a real sysadmin. I only pretend to be when backed into a corner.)

I've been running PowerDNS (with a MySQL backend) successfully and happily for a couple of years now. It's really basic stuff, one A record per host name.

Now I'm in a situation where I need to serve up two possible IP addresses for a certain host name. From my treks through Google, I'm assuming the following:

1) I simply enter multiple A records into the database, one for each IP.
2) PowerDNS does not randomize these. [informational]
3) Recursors are supposed to do this. [informational]

So all I need to do, really, is enter in the multiple A records.

What I'm confused about is the role of the recursor. Is it already installed as part of PowerDNS? If not, do I need to install the recursor on my name servers? Does it take over port 53? From reading about recursors, the answer is, "No", I think. But I'm not completely sure when one would run a recursor.

Thanks for making something so simple and reliable. :)