[Pdns-users] NOTIFY by pdns master with ldap backend in next authoritative server releases?

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at admin.noa.gr
Thu Sep 30 18:02:27 UTC 2010

  Thanks JP,

I just tried it. I installed it on my master pdns/ldap server (I had no
installation problems), but I haven't managed to make it work (yet). It
doesnt' seem to send notify.

I have the following questions:

   1. The LDAP server used by my pdns primary master is a SLAVE LDAP
      server (using instant syncrepl, type=refreshAndPersist); So I am
      making changes on the LDAP master (on another box) and the pdns
      master box is using data from an ldap mirror (that's where I have
      installed slapi-dnsnotify, and this is why I have NOT used
      /enable-auto-serial/ - we increase it manually when we finish
      whatever changes). So, slapi-dnsnotify should work on a slave ldap
      (i.e. does it detect changes propagated using syncrepl and not
      done manually) or I should install it on the ldap master only ??
   2. The slaves which will receive the NOTIFY are those listed in zone
      NS records?
   3. If the SOA serial number is increased, this should trigger a NOTIFY ?
   4. I didn't find any syslog /daemon/ facility on CentOS. I looked
      into the default log file /var/log/messages but didn't find any
      entry.

For completeness, I include here the syslog.conf file:

    # Log all kernel messages to the console.
    # Logging much else clutters up the screen.
    #kern.*                                                 /dev/console

    # Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
    # Don't log private authentication messages!
    *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;local5.none
    /var/log/messages

    # The authpriv file has restricted access.
    authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure

    # Log all the mail messages in one place.
    mail.*
    -/var/log/maillog

    # Log cron stuff
    cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron

    # Everybody gets emergency messages
    *.emerg                                                 *

    # Save news errors of level crit and higher in a special file.
    uucp,news.crit                                          /var/log/spooler

    # Save boot messages also to boot.log
    local7.*
    /var/log/boot.log

    # save OpenLDAP log