[Pdns-users] NOTIFY by pdns master with ldap backend in next authoritative server releases?

Jan-Piet Mens jp at mens.de
Thu Sep 30 08:56:16 UTC 2010

Nikolaos,

>  I know that ldap backend does not support NOTIFY (so it neither supports
> master/slave operation), and that this is due to LDAP specifications (or
> so). The same problem exists e.g. in BIND9 with sdb (ldap backend).

Have you looked at slapi-dnsnotify? It's an OpenLDAP plugin that watches
for a change in a zone's serial numbe and notifies DNS slaves. Works
rather nicely, though you might have to adapt it to your schema, etc.
http://memberwebs.com/stef/software/slapi-dnsnotify/

Disclaimer: if you have my book, I describe it therein. :-)

        -JP