[Pdns-users] NOTIFY by pdns master with ldap backend in next authoritative server releases?

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at admin.noa.gr
Wed Sep 29 12:08:45 UTC 2010

  Dennis,

Thanks for the reply.

In order to achieve quick sync (max 5 min), this would require a cron
job to run every, say, 5 minutes (this is not bad). A simple text file
would be used to record the latest retrieved SOA serials (for all zones
concerned), and then ldapsearch would find and compare the current SOA
serial with the one in the text file, and, if different, it would send
such a notify using pdns_control (and it would update the SOA serial
number in the text file).

BUT, if I understand the documentation correctly, "pdns_control notify"
for ldap backend is NOT supported. pdns_control only gives instructions
to the backend to send a NOTIFY message, but the ldap_backend does not
support master operation and notify.

So the best solution I have found up to now would be to use a second
pdns slave server instance (e.g. on the same box, on another port, or on
another box) with a different backend (e.g. BIND) that supports notify
operations and then configure it, with a cron job or with SOA short
refresh intervals, to sync with the master and also send notify to other
slaves.

This will probably work, but I am not very satisfied with this setup;
simplicity - always a key parameter - is sacrificed. NOTIFY (Master
operation) should be available on the pdns/ldap master server (which
currently cannot behave as a true master).

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Nick