[Pdns-users] pdns recursor 3.2 cname resolution phenomenon

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Mon Sep 20 05:53:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 07:32:51AM +0200, Thomas Mieslinger wrote:
> we're using pdns recursor for out company internal name resolution.
> We have some strange setups to support that can't easily be removed.
>
> In some of our offical Zones are CNAMEs. The A records to these
> Names are in our internal Zones configured in forward.zones.
>
> Getting the A records works fine. But when looking up a CNAME, the
> answer only contains the CNAME. The recursor seems not to try to
> resolve the CNAME answer again. Maybe this is because the CNAME
> containing answer has the NXDOMAIN Bit set.

Can you elaborate a bit more? I think this issue is ""fixed"" in 3.3, which
contains a change that makes PowerDNS be a bit more lenient in understanding
CNAME chains containing SOA records that indicate a 'NO ERROR' response.

3.3-rc2 can be found on http://svn.powerdns.com/release-candidates/

The relevant item is:
Deal better with UltraDNS style CNAME redirects containing SOA records.
Spotted by Andy Fletcher from UKDedicated in ticket 303, fix in commit 1628.
http://wiki.powerdns.com/projects/trac/ticket/303
http://wiki.powerdns.com/projects/trac/changeset/1628

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Kind regards,

Bert