[Pdns-users] pdns recursor 3.2 cname resolution phenomenon

Thomas Mieslinger thomas.mieslinger at 1und1.de
Wed Sep 22 14:53:22 UTC 2010

On 09/20/10 07:53 AM, bert hubert wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 07:32:51AM +0200, Thomas Mieslinger wrote:
>> we're using pdns recursor for out company internal name resolution.
>> [..]
>> containing answer has the NXDOMAIN Bit set.
>
> Can you elaborate a bit more? I think this issue is ""fixed"" in 3.3, which
> [..]
> Let me know if this solves your problem.

Hi Bert,

I installed pdns_recursor 3.3-rc3 from svn.powerdns.com. Sorry, my
Problem isn't gone...

I did some packet dumping ...

dig db686.XXX.de @recursor

tcpdump on the recursor:
IP recursor.38240 > authdns.53: 19990 A? db686.XXX.de. (38)
IP authdns.53 > recursor.38240: 19990 NXDomain*- 1/1/0 CNAME[|domain]

The answer packet contains

db686.XXX.de IN CNAME db686.YYY.de

And has the AUTHORITY bit set.

At this point I would like the recursor to try another resolution with
db686.YYY.de but that would probably break the code and the idea behind DNS.

So now, that I understood my problem, I don't think the code needs to be
fixed :-(

Regards Thomas

--
Thomas Mieslinger

1&1 Internet AG - IT Operations Data Services Infrastructure
Brauerstraße 48 · DE-76135 Karlsruhe
Telefon: +49 721 91374 4404
thomas.mieslinger at 1und1.de

Amtsgericht Montabaur / HRB 6484
Vorstände: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas
Gottschlich, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Hans-Henning Kettler, Dr.
Oliver Mauss, Jan Oetjen