[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Recursor instability

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Jan 28 16:38:59 UTC 2010

To all PowerDNS Recursor users,

We've received two simultaneous reports of stability problems in the
PowerDNS Recursor. There is reason to believe these problems (crashes) are
caused by third parties.

Action needed
-------------
All operators are urged to keep a close eye on their installations, and
possibly to make sure that a crashed recursor is restarted swiftly.

A way to do this is to run the Recursor like this:

# while true; do /usr/sbin/pdns_recursor --daemon=no; done

This command should preferably be run inside 'screen', or something else
that preserves the console connection (nohup, for example).

Further things you can do
If you observe stability issues, please email me privately.

We will keep you updated as the situation develops.

Kind regards,

Bert Hubert