[Pdns-users] database backends without replication?

Chris Hesselrode chris.hesselrode at phoenixkv.com
Thu Dec 2 18:59:52 UTC 2010

Mark:

We actually faced a similar problem (as far as inability to replicate to a
single machine - for other reasons than the arch). It's kind of a hokey
work-around, but it does work quite well, as long as you don't need it to be
"instant".

** This would never be recommended for high-traffic servers, or servers
where updates to the db are taking place consistently.

On the primary nameserver, we dump the database to a SQL file which is made
available in a directory only readable by the IP address of the slave
machine. The file is pulled down from the master via HTTPS, and then
re-imported into the database on the slave - all done with a script.

We currently have our set up pulling the file every 7 minutes, which works
for us - but you may want to shorten or lengthen that timeframe.

Just out of curiosity - any reason you're using postgres instead of MySQL
for the pdns servers? MySQL replication works flawlessly cross-arch.

Chris Hesselrode | Principal / President

Phoenix Knowledge Ventures, LLC
PO Box 342
Maricopa, AZ 85139