[Pdns-users] database backends without replication?

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Thu Dec 2 18:42:02 UTC 2010

OK, well I have a small personal DNS infrastructure for some friends of
mine and myself and I wanted to use PowerDNS going forward. I have a few
questions though because I've never found clear information on this:

The servers are not the same arch; one is 32bit the other is 64bit. I want
to run a database backend (postgres) on at least one server so I can have
poweradmin. There's another server whichb can't receive the data by
streaming replication because of the arch difference and I'm not going to
screw with Slony or Londiste as a workaround. In our BIND setup at work,
if you have ns1 ns2 and ns3 and you add a domain, you have to actually
modify the config file on the ns2 and ns3 slaves before they will pick up
the new domain and records via AXFR. This is terribly tedious, and we
actually rsync ns2 to ns3 and trigger a reload as a workaround, but still
it's lame. If I use a database backend on each side without database
replication, can I use an AXFR to have it automatically add a domain to
the database of the slave, or is this still an issue with AXFR as a whole?

Simply put, I don't want to have to touch the slaves when a new domain is
added to the master. How does this work without database replication?

Thanks,

Mark