[Pdns-users] MySQL backend and notify

Steve Spencer sspencer at kdsi.net
Thu Aug 12 12:15:01 UTC 2010

Yves Goergen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently setting up my first PowerDNS server. It shall act as
> master for another DNS server. I'm going to use the gmysql backend. How
> will the pdns server know when I have changed the records in the
> database to send out notifications to the slaves? Will that work on a
> regular basis or will I have to start a separate process to tell
> pdns-server to rescan the database?

We use this system now.  Our method is this:

* Two pdns servers, one primary and one secondary
Both running mysql and gmysql back end
* One machine running mysql with a web front end and PDNS Admin Console
for PDNS

* The PDNS console machine operates as the mysql master and both the
master pdns and the slave pdns operate as slaves to this master database

You will need to google: mysql master slave replication.  We've been
using some form of the above implementation for many years.  Works great!

Thanks,
Steven G. Spencer, Network Administrator
KSC Corporate - The Kelly Supply Family of Companies
Office 308-382-8764 Ext. 231
Mobile 308-380-7957