[Pdns-users] wildcards and pipe backend

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Wed Sep 23 20:34:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Fagyal Csongor
<concept at conceptonline.hu> wrote:
> The question is: if I know I have wildcard records, then I have to do a
> wildcard query? Currently what I do is to first query non-wildcard records,
> and if none is found, then I do a wildcard match. Is that correct? Do the
> backend have to know about wilcrads at

Backends should not do any thinking about wildcards, and only answer
with a wildcard if queried for one explicitly.

> I often get AXFR queries from pdns, which look like "AXFR 1".
> What zone should I return in this case?
>
> What I do now is to store the last domain queried, and when an AXFR is
> received, I send out the zone according to that last domain. Is this
> correct?

You should be setting the 'zone ID' field in the answers your PIPE
backend provides. The AXFR query you'll get is for that zone ID
number. So make sure you have a unique number per zone.

Good luck!