[Pdns-users] wildcards and pipe backend

Fagyal Csongor concept at conceptonline.hu
Wed Sep 23 20:17:46 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am in the middle of migrating from BIND to PowerDNS using pipebackend,
and I have run into some trouble.

----
First, wildcard records.

Say, I have the following records:

foo.example.com   IN   CNAME   1.2.3.4
*.example.com   IN CNAME   1.1.1.1

Obviously
dig foo.example.com should return 1.2.3.4
but
dig bar.example.com should return 1.1.1.1

The question is: if I know I have wildcard records, then I have to do a
wildcard query? Currently what I do is to first query non-wildcard
records, and if none is found, then I do a wildcard match. Is that
correct? Do the backend have to know about wilcrads at all?

----
Second: AXFR.

I often get AXFR queries from pdns, which look like "AXFR 1".
What zone should I return in this case?

What I do now is to store the last domain queried, and when an AXFR is
received, I send out the zone according to that last domain. Is this
correct?

Thanks,
- Csongor