[Pdns-users] Reliable supermaster setup - howto?

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Fri Oct 23 13:06:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 03:00:08PM +0200, Przemyslaw Wegrzyn wrote:
> Kenneth Marshall wrote:
>> The supermaster functionality works well for this. If you are using
>> PostgreSQL as the DB backend, you may want to consider using the
>> patch I posted to PDNS giving you the option to configure the zone
>> commit command. This allows you to use temporary tables to optimize
>> zone updates on the slaves. There are several samples included with
>> the patch.
>>

> This leaves my initial  question unanswered - how does such setup recover
> from lost notifications from supermaster to slave?
>
> As of PostgreSQL - my idea was to use PostgreSQL on master, and SQLite on
> slave, for simplicity, but that would render your patch useless,
> unfortunately. Where can I find the patch?
>
> Cheers,
> Przemek

The slave will check after the cache period times out. You could
also run a tickle script to check that you do not have any stale
zones. If you are using SQLite on the slaves, you will not need
the patch. The way SQLite implements tables make the normal zone
AXFR transfer process reasonably performant. It was PostgreSQL's
multi-version concurrancy that killed the performance when using
a PostgreSQL backend.

Regards,
Ken