[Pdns-users] Reliable supermaster setup - howto?

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Fri Oct 23 12:48:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 01:47:54PM +0200, Przemyslaw Wegrzyn wrote:
> Angel Bosch Mora wrote:
>>
>> forget about all this master-propagates-slaves stuff.
>>
> It's behaving so badly, or is unreliable, or not supported by developers,
> or... ?
>> i use ldap backend and i have lot of 389 Directory Servers replicated. to
>> fire up a new DNS server i just have to copy the confs and start the
>> daemon.
>>
>> you can do that with mysql, oracle or even create your own replicated
>> backend.
>>
> PostgreSQL is our database of choice. I'd need to evaluate existing
> replication possibilities or   go with something custom.
>
> Well, actually, propagating the list of domains would do, I expect PDNS
> slave to handle zone transfers properly after all.
>> just unBIND your point of view ;)
>>

> Definitely :)
>
> Regards,
> Przemek

The supermaster functionality works well for this. If you are using
PostgreSQL as the DB backend, you may want to consider using the
patch I posted to PDNS giving you the option to configure the zone
commit command. This allows you to use temporary tables to optimize
zone updates on the slaves. There are several samples included with
the patch.

Regards,
Ken