[Pdns-users] TCP listener hangs with fd error on recursor

Josh Berry jberry at plus.net
Mon Dec 21 10:07:18 UTC 2009

Hi there,

I am having a problem with the powerdns recursor where the TCP listener dies every now and then unless the daemon is restarted periodically.

I am using version 3.1.7.1 as I upgraded to the latest version to rule out it being a bug already fixed.

The OS is use is Debian Etch with the 2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-686-bigmem kernel.

The error message is as follows, pointing to a file descriptor problem of some sort but I cannot find any other reports of a similar issue:
Dec 19 16:10:21 pcl-cachedns03 pdns_recursor[21800]: Error writing TCP answer to 212.159.6.141: Connection reset by peer
Dec 19 16:10:21 pcl-cachedns03 pdns_recursor[21800]: STL error: Tried to remove unlisted fd 410 from multiplexer
Dec 19 16:10:21 pcl-cachedns03 pdns_recursor[21800]: Error writing TCP answer to 212.159.6.141: Connection reset by peer
Dec 19 16:10:21 pcl-cachedns03 pdns_recursor[21800]: STL error: Tried to remove unlisted fd 419 from multiplexer

The UDP listener continues to work correctly throughout. We also had a similar problem on BIND so I am also wondering whether it is a problem in the OS.

Does anyone has any idea what the problem is (or even what it might be so I have somewhere to start looking).

Thanks
--
+ ------------ Plusnet - ISPA Best Consumer ISP 2008 ------------