[Pdns-users] TCP listener hangs with fd error on recursor

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Mon Dec 21 10:40:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:07:18AM +0000, Josh Berry wrote:
> I am having a problem with the powerdns recursor where the TCP listener
> dies every now and then unless the daemon is restarted periodically.

Josh,

Can you tell us if you are behind a firewall? Perhaps iptables on the host
itself?

Are you running with --fork?

> The error message is as follows, pointing to a file descriptor problem of
> some sort but I cannot find any other reports of a similar issue:

> Dec 19 16:10:21 pcl-cachedns03 pdns_recursor[21800]: Error writing TCP answer to 212.159.6.141: Connection reset by peer
> Dec 19 16:10:21 pcl-cachedns03 pdns_recursor[21800]: STL error: Tried to remove unlisted fd 410 from multiplexer

Well, this is very useful debugging information. I can't see how this would
lead to TCP stopping working.

When you observe that the TCP listener has died, do you get a connection
refused when you try to connect to TCP/53? Or a timeout? Or do you get a
connection but no answer?

> --
> | Josh Berry                                            Broadband Solutions for
> | Systems Engineer                                     Home & Business @
> | Plusnet Plc                                                           www.plus.net
> | Internet House, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY
> | Registered in England no: 3279013
> + ------------ Plusnet - ISPA Best Consumer ISP 2008 ------------

Let's make sure you'll remain that in 2009 ;-)

	Bert