[Pdns-users] Project back-end admin for powerdns

Kenneth Kalmer kenneth.kalmer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 22:12:23 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Julian Pawlowski <lists at propenguin.net>wrote:

> Hi Kenneth,
>
> thnx for your clarification :-)

Pleasure

> Gave it a try - just a short feedback about some issues I run into
> when running it as an application via Apache/fcgid in a subdirectory.

Not recommended really, at least not from my experiences.

> In the Apache conf file I entered an alias to /public in the PDNSoR appdir:
>
> Alias /dnsadmin /srv/www/htdocs/powerdns-on-rails/public
>
> I also adjusted the .htaccess accordingly to fit current needs:
>
>  AddHandler fcgid-script .fcgi
>  RewriteBase /dnsadmin
>
> Now the PDNSoR app starts with a failure regarding the routing entry point:
>
>  "No route matches "/dnsadmin/" with {:method=>:get"
>
> Then I had a look to Google which told me to include something like
> the following into config/environment.rb:
>
>  config.action_controller.relative_url_root = "/dnsadmin"
>
> After this PDNSoR runs properly except problems with accessing some images:
>
> 87.152.105.233 - - [19/Apr/2009:16:25:48 +0200] "GET
> /images/top-background.png HTTP/1.1" 404 1330
> 87.152.105.233 - - [19/Apr/2009:16:25:48 +0200] "GET /images/error.png
> HTTP/1.1" 404 1330
> 87.152.105.233 - - [19/Apr/2009:16:25:48 +0200] "GET
> /images/exclamation.png HTTP/1.1" 404 1330
> 87.152.105.233 - - [19/Apr/2009:16:25:49 +0200] "GET
> /images/accept.png HTTP/1.1" 404 1330
>
> I think you might find this helpful to adjust the code to not ignore
> the relative_url_root at these points :-)

Thanks for the pointer, will try to mimic it on this side. As far as I'm
aware of the framework should deal with this on the fly. If I can get the
issue duplicated reliably I'll take it up with the Rails core team.

> I will let you know if there are any additional issues running it in
> this constellation.

Thanks for the great feedback on these issues. FCGI is one of the lesser
used deployment options for Rails. Again I really recommend you give
passenger a go. Since you have Ruby and Rubygems installed, it should be as
simple as this:

$ sudo gem install passenger
$ sudo passenger-install-apache2-module

Review the config changes for apache from running the above command.

Create a virtualhost, or extend one, using the samples from
http://www.modrails.com/documentation/Users%20guide.html

Personally I deploy my rails applications on subdomains, rather than inside
subdirectories, and this always works first time. I understand getting this
up the first time is a pain in the behind, and I appreciate your patience.
The Ruby community is working very hard to ease these problems.

--
Kenneth Kalmer
kenneth.kalmer at gmail.com
http://opensourcery.co.za