[Pdns-users] NS caching bug reappears in recursor 3.1.6

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Sun May 18 21:22:30 UTC 2008

Hello,

I would just like to add a report of my own regarding a caching
problem with version 3.1.6. I am not sure of the exact details,
but the scenario involves our main PDNS server serving rice.edu
and a subdomain xxx.rice.edu. The default ttl of rice.edu was
3600 and it was 86400 for xxx.rice.edu. The observed problem
was that the A record for xxx.rice.edu was not resolvable as
the MX for xxx.rice.edu. Making the ttl's the same at 3600 helped,
but in the end to work around the problem, I had to use the
forward-zones file to point xxx.rice.edu back to the auth PDNS
server to eliminate the A record lookup failures. Of course,restarting
the recursor let everything work smoothly for a while. Let me know
if there is anything else I can do to help resolve this problem.

Regards,
Ken