[Pdns-users] Status of poweradmin?

Rudolph Bott rb at megabit.net
Tue Feb 5 00:02:40 UTC 2008

Duane schrieb:
> Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
>
>> But the annotated manual said there is an issue with the detection of
>> some address forms in those routines. So it may not work as well as
>> expected. I need to think on this a bit more and test it a lot before I
>> submit patches.
>
> IPv4 and IPv6 both follow fairly simple patterns that regex could be
> used for if the other method is too hit and miss.
>
> One gotcha though is IPv4 can be shortened just like IPv6 can eg 1..1,
> although this is less common with IPv4 then IPv6 eg 3001::1
Hm...one could also write a 'shortened-form-detection' and let PHP
expand them before actually validating them (does that make sense at all?)

Maybe vice-versa you can also write a function (which probably already
exists somewhere) to shorten your IPv6 addresses before displaying them
in the web interface - that way you have "complete" IPv6 addresses in
your database but your web interface does not get cluttered with tons of

> With respect to shortened prefixes there can be only one per IP address,
>  but the shortened IPs is the only corner case I can think of that might
> cause issues.

The only problem I had so far happens with MX and CNAME records:
they may not contain IP adresses, but a hostname my contain dots and
numbers - which leads to a quite complicated regex (e.g. allow whatever
  a regular hostname can contain BUT fail if it looks like an IPv4 address)