[Pdns-users] Why does pdns_recursor log stats at priority error

Darren Gamble darren.gamble at sjrb.ca
Thu Sep 13 19:50:38 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 04:45:52PM +0100, Alex Kiernan wrote:
> > We collect all our syslog error messages into one file - getting
> > pdns_recursors stats in there is blooming irritating. Is there a
good
> > reason it doesn't log them at something like info?

> The problem is that syslog thinks in terms of 'severity', and we tend
> think in terms of 'important' or 'unimportant'. While the statistics
are
> not
> errors, many people like to actually see them.
>
> Having said that, I think we could lower this to 'Warning' w/o
upsetting
> things too much. Many installations actually monitor these log
messages,
> it
> appears.

Just to clarify here- the "proper" severity level to use for these types
of messages is "info", as Alex suggested.  This level is also logged by
default by most distributions into the messages file.

As well, many users log "Warning-and-higher" into an "action item" log
file, which the stats wouldn't belong in.

Just FYI!

Darren Gamble
Systems Architect, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP