[Pdns-users] Why does pdns_recursor log stats at priority error

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Sep 13 19:39:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 04:45:52PM +0100, Alex Kiernan wrote:
> We collect all our syslog error messages into one file - getting
> pdns_recursors stats in there is blooming irritating. Is there a good
> reason it doesn't log them at something like info?

Not really - Jan Gyselinck looked into our logging priorities some time ago
and changed a number of them.

The problem is that syslog thinks in terms of 'severity', and we tend to
think in terms of 'important' or 'unimportant'. While the statistics are not
errors, many people like to actually see them.

Having said that, I think we could lower this to 'Warning' w/o upsetting
things too much. Many installations actually monitor these log messages, it
appears.

	Bert