[Pdns-users] Why does pdns_recursor log stats at priority error

Alex Kiernan alex.kiernan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 06:08:33 UTC 2007

On 13/09/2007, bert hubert <bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 04:45:52PM +0100, Alex Kiernan wrote:
> > We collect all our syslog error messages into one file - getting
> > pdns_recursors stats in there is blooming irritating. Is there a good
> > reason it doesn't log them at something like info?
>
> Not really - Jan Gyselinck looked into our logging priorities some time ago
> and changed a number of them.
>
> The problem is that syslog thinks in terms of 'severity', and we tend to
> think in terms of 'important' or 'unimportant'. While the statistics are not
> errors, many people like to actually see them.

In the right circumstances I'm interested in seeing everything, but
the priorities form a useful filter for admins. If I was honest I
think much of the logging is at far too high a priority - startup
notices for example I'd expect to be "notice" (normal, but
significant). warning I expect to be something minor is wrong, if you
see lots of these you should really go investigate.

> Having said that, I think we could lower this to 'Warning' w/o upsetting
> things too much. Many installations actually monitor these log messages, it
> appears.

How about if I throw a patch together adjusting priorities together
with a rationale for each change?

--
Alex Kiernan