[Pdns-users] Suse Linux and MS SQL

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Thu Jan 4 21:20:48 UTC 2007

.On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 10:49 -0500, Michael C. Gates wrote:
> I have Suse Linux on one box, and MS SQL on another. Is it possible
> (And how hard would it be) to install PDNS on the Suse box, and then
> use MS SQL as the backend?

I can think about one more option different from the one outlined by
Bert:

- powerdns driven by the ldap backend that connects to OpenLDAP
- OpenLDAP that connects to the mssql server

Connectivity between OpenLDAP & MSSQL can be achieved by using
www.unixodbc.org in conjunction with www.freetds.org

See http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/978.html for some more
information on this.

We have never used FreeTDS in connection with OpenLDAP but we are using
it for a couple of other projects and are very happy with it.

BTW, is there a "real" reason why the ODBC backend for PowerDNS is only
available on windows platforms?

Just my 2ยข on this issue :-)

--
Udo Rader