[Pdns-users] Difference between serial in SQL domain table and SOA field

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Feb 16 17:41:43 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 06:26:22PM +0100, Bas van Schaik wrote:

> > Feb 16 19:19:05 helios pdns[28866]: AXFR done for 'a-eskwadraat.nl',

Give my regards to the a-eskwadraat people, tell them they are running VvTP
software! I'm on this page
http://www.vvtp.tudelft.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=63
:-)

> Of course, I don't want to configure an IP-address there: the system
> administrators of my slave domain might decide to change the IP-address
> of their nameserver, which will break my configuration. Isn't it
> possible to pass the hostname as a parameter here?

No - it is very bad form for an authoritative nameserver to do DNS queries
in order to function. It could lead to all kinds of bad things. In theory,
the whole internet could melt down after a big power failure - you would
need DNS to start the DNS! Unlikely, but it might happen.

In general, authoritative nameservers rarely change names, and when they do,
it is a big event, and people WILL let you know.

	Bert