[Pdns-users] Difference between serial in SQL domain table and SOA field

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Feb 16 14:32:02 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 03:23:36PM +0100, Bas van Schaik wrote:
> For example, I can't discover what's the meaning of:
>  domains.last_check
>  domains.notified_serial
>  domains.type (should be "MASTER" in most cases, I assume?)
>  domains.account

This has to do with master/slave operation.

Last_check: last time the slave component of PowerDNS checked if a remote
domain was "fresh" (had a SOA serial lower of equal to the version we have
locally).

Notified_serial: the serial number we last sent out notifications for. If we
find that a zone has a higher serial number in our database than the
notified serial number, we will send out notifications.

Type: should be MASTER if you want PowerDNS to be master, SLAVE if you want
to slave a domain (in which case you should fill out the master field), or
NATIVE if you don't want any notifications, and use the database for
replication.;

The 'account' field belongs to the supermaster operation, so you know which
supermaster created this domain.

So of the fields you mention, only 'type' should be edited by you. The rest
is for PowerDNS.

Good luck!