[Pdns-users] Re: How Do SPF records work in PDNS? ( begionner)

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Sat Nov 18 19:49:44 UTC 2006

--On November 18, 2006 11:27:26 AM -0800 Richard Vernooij
<richardvernooij at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I thought PRT record is the same? or do i misundertand. Can you please
> explain the difference? and what must i do in my case?

I am going to assume you mean PTR record.  PTR's really only occur in
.in-addr.arpa zones.  They are for reverse DNS which is not SPF.  Many
sites do require *VALID* reverse DNS nowadays though, which is very
different from SPF (which I'll get to in a moment).  A *VALID* rDNS
consists of a PTR in your providers .in-addr.arpa zone, as well as a
matching A record that it points to (PTR means PoinTeR).

SPF is simply a specially formatted TXT record associated with the sending
domain which states which A, MX, or IP's can send mail on behalf of that
domain.  If you've got people denying mail because of no SPF record well
you don't want to send mail to them anyway.  SPF is seriously broken in the
face of *many* everyday applications, including mailing lists, and remote
dialup users.

Now if you *have* an SPF record (which again is *NOT* a type of DNS record
at all, it's a TXT record) and that SPF record is *wrong* I can see some
net.kook's denying mail based on that.

> In my case several people do not get any mail, because there spamfilter
> blocks mail from our domains on our servers, due to Reverse or SPF
> settings . This is all i can understand, form the error messages.
>

> In my Power admin is no such thing as a SPF TYPE.  only PRT / TXT etc..
>

> I hope it is clear enough for you guys?
>
> Please let me know.
>

> thanks,
>
> Richard.
>
> Richard Vernooij wrote:
>> I seem to have a problem that many messages from a webserver, or
>> emailserver do not arrive on certain places.
>>
>> Now i found that it could be the reason, that i do not have SPF records
>> for reverse DNS.
>
> SPF has _nothing_ to do with reverse DNS.
>
>> Now when i check
>> http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=domainname.com (after
>> a day with the real domain)
>>
>> I still have a warning about not having a spf record.
>
> Well, then your domain does not have an SPF record.
>
> Did you add a record of type "SPF" to your domain's zone?

> Sponsored Link
>
> Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo -
> Calculate new house payment

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler