[Pdns-users] "bind-example-zones" support in the new bind2 backend

Julian Mehnle julian at mehnle.net
Sun May 28 22:56:54 UTC 2006

Hi all,

today I tried PDNS for the first time.  I managed to get right up to the
"Testing your install" step[1], but then I couldn't figure out how to get
the example.com zone working.  When querying for an A record for "www.
example.com", all I get in my syslog is:

| 2006-05-28 22:39:52 gray pdns[11430]: Not authoritative for 'www.example.com', sending servfail to 127.0.0.1 (recursion was desired)

After hours of reading documentation, going through my config, and
scratching my head, I decided to read the source code.  Could it possibly
be that the new bind2 backend introduced in PDNS 2.9.19 does NOT support
the "bind-example-zones" option?

If that's indeed the case, then the documentation should be rectified so as
not to recommend that people test their installation with a feature that
doesn't actually work.

Julian.