[Pdns-users] Allegedly invalid "gpgsql-socket" option: connecting to PostgreSQL via UNIX domain socket

Julian Mehnle julian at mehnle.net
Mon May 29 22:54:09 UTC 2006

Hi all,

the documentation of the gmysql/gpgsql backend says[1]:

| gpgsql-dbname
|     Database name to connect to
|
| gpgsql-host
|     Database host to connect to. [...]
|
| gmysql-socket (only for MySQL!)
|     Filename where the MySQL connection socket resides.  Often
|     /tmp/mysql.sock or /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock.
|
| gpgsql-password
|     Password to connect with
|
| gpgsql-user
|     PgSQL user to connect as

This implies that there is no "gpgsql-socket" option to connect to a
PostgreSQL server via a UNIX domain socket.  However, having become suspi-
cious of the incorrect documentation in the case of the "bind-example-
zones" option, I again read the source and then tried setting the "gpgsql-
socket" option instead of the "gpgsql-host" option, and lo and behold, it
worked!  (Remember, UNIX sockets are far more efficient than loopback TCP
sockets.)

I wonder what other inaccuracies the docs contain. :-(

Julian.