[Pdns-users] PowerDNS as Slave on Windows 2003

Bob Elder bobe at realtechllc.com
Tue Mar 28 00:49:11 UTC 2006

I'm using PowerDNS 2.9.15 on windows 2003 connecting to a sql 2000
backend.  I've got it working fine as a Master or standalone, however, I
am having problems setting this up as a slave. I'm using Windows DNS as
the master for testing.  When I fire off pdns I get the following:

This is module godbcbackend reporting
This is module gsqlite reporting
Listening on named pipe.
It is advised to bind to explicit addresses with the --local-address
option
UDP server bound to 0.0.0.0:53
TCP server bound to 0.0.0.0:53
PowerDNS 2.9.15-WIN32 (C) 2001-2003 PowerDNS.COM BV (Jan 30 2004,
03:34:16) star
ting up
PowerDNS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and
you are w
elcome to redistribute it according to the terms of the GPL version 2.
PowerDNS 2.9.15-WIN32 (C) 2001-2003 PowerDNS.COM BV (Jan 30 2004,
03:33:58) star
ting up
DNS Proxy launched, local port 13156, remote 127.0.0.1:5300
Creating backend connection for TCP
Master/slave communicator launching
Launched webserver on 127.0.0.1:8081
godbc Connection succesful
godbc Connection succesful
About to create 3 backend threads
1 slave domain needs checking
Domain rtll.com is stale, master serial 654900, our serial 28800
godbc Connection succesful
No master domains need notifications
godbc Connection succesful
godbc Connection succesful
godbc Connection succesful
Done launching threads, ready to distribute questions
AXFR started for 'rtll.com', transaction started
Communicator thread died because of error: Database failed to start
transaction:
 Could not execute query.

Watching SQLTrace I show the following query being executed:
select id,name,master,last_check,notified_serial,type from domains where
name='rtll.com'

And then it fails.  The query succeeds if I run it in query analyzer, so
I'm really confused.

Also, is there any examples of what the domains database should look
like on MS SQL?  I've put it together based on the MySQL db, however,
I'm not sure I did it right.

Thanks,

Robert Elder
System Administrator