[Pdns-users] CNAMEs and recursion

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Jul 11 13:29:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 03:22:50PM +0200, Martijn Grendelman wrote:

> I know this technically isn't a real problem, but still... Is it
> possible to configure PowerDNS (running 2.9.20) to respond with any
> available data instead of SERVFAIL when recursion is needed but not
> allowed? Or are there good reasons (RFC or otherwise) to not want to do
> this?

The exact behaviour of PowerDNS came about after I asked the DNS RFC authors
and IETF people how we should handle out of bailiwick CNAMEs. It does not
cause problems and is exactly what the RFCs require. So you are seeing a
non-problem.

If you really hate the SERVFAIL you can enable 'send-root-referral' and
PowerDNS will send out a useless root referral that mostly means the same in
this case, except that it wastes bandwidth.

Good luck!