[Pdns-users] Two questions about powerdns

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sun Jan 22 11:19:04 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 01:14:28PM +0200, Oded Arbel wrote:
> I think it would be a good thing :-) How do you plan on doing that ? I
> was thinking about automatically generating it from the newest update
> time of all the records for a domain, but of course the SOA record
> itself will not be updated - and I'm not sure what will the impact of
> that be.

There is code in PowerDNS that, in theory, allows you to set the SOA serial
to 0, and have it get calculated based on the maximum change_date on the
fly. This code has been disabled because it is slightly broken.

> Thanks - is there a source RPM or spec file that I could look at ? I
> don't particularly like to deploy unknown RPMs on my systems.

The RPMs are as "known" as the source. There is a spec file in the tar.gz
but as the PowerDNS RPM has heaps of dependencies, you'll have a lot of work
building it yourself. But feel free to try it, download the tar.gz and run
build-instructions/rpm-build or so.

If that file isn't in the tar.gz, look at the wiki.powerdns.com entry on
HACKING.

Good luck!