[Pdns-users] Pipe Backend causes Signal 6

Charles Galpin charles at defenderhosting.com
Tue Feb 21 13:56:46 UTC 2006

Hi Steve

I am about to take the plunge and try pdns myself and it will probably
be in a similar environment, but like Bert I am curious why this is
necessary.

On Feb 21, 2006, at 8:30 AM, Steve Chapman wrote:

Bert said:
>> I'm also trying to understand what you are doing exactly and if
> 'recursor='
>> in the confguration would suit your needs better.

> That's it!!  That's what I did wrong in my script!  I had the recursor
> set
> in pdns.conf to the corporate DNS proxy and the script also tried to
> resolve
> via the corporate DNS proxy!  Once I removed all references to the
> corporate
> DNS proxy from the script, the script released properly.  Now, it
> looks over
> the DNS request and if the hostname is in the list of Internet-only
> hosts,
> it routes the request to the Internet, otherwise it simply passes the
> request to PDNS like it should, and PDNS recurses the request to the
> corporate DNS server.

My understanding was that this happens automatically if you use the
recursor feature. pdns does a lookup, and it if can satisfy the request
it responds, else hands off to the recursor defined to handle it.

What am I missing?

thanks
charles