[Pdns-users] Configure pdns to not provide version information?

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Wed Dec 13 17:00:20 UTC 2006

> I'm just implementing PowerDNS and am very impressed by how straightforward
> it has been.  I'm about to replace our old Bind servers with powerdns, and
> was testing a few things and noticed that PowerDNS tells other server's
> it's version number.  More specifically it says:
>
> Served by POWERDNS 2.9.20 $Id: packethandler.cc 539 2005-11-11 11:17:47Z
> ahu $
>
> Is there any way to disable or change this response without recompiling.
> I typically try to disable this kind of identifying information so that in
> the event of a vulnerability, it's not obvious that this server is
> vulnerable.

The config file for the recursor has "version-string=" set to a similar
string, I'd be surprised if you can't set that in the main pdns config.

As an aside, in the event of a vulnerability an automated script will fire the
exploit at your sever whether it's running a DNS service or not.
CodeRed and Slammer did the same for IIS vulnerabilities.

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer