[Pdns-users] Some details for multiple (gmysql) backends

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Mon Dec 11 12:33:49 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 01:16:37PM +0100, Tobias Orlamuende wrote:

> Since we need to implement a new provisioning-tool, we're thinking about
> using two backends (gmysql) with different DBs on the same server for the
> time of implementation and migration. The new DB will be feed by the
> provisioning tool and should run with higher priority when answering
> requests so that e.g. older and/or wrong entries in the old DB (the
> currently existing one) will not be used. The old DB would be freed of the
> entries which are available in the new one from time to time and will be
> replaced totally by the new one on a certain day.

That should "just work". Do however make sure that the database that has the
'domains' table entry for a domain also has the records, as that is what
PowerDNS assumes!

To configure this way, use:
launch=gmysql:first, gmysql:second

And then configure with:
gmysql-first-dbname= and gmysql-second-dbname= etc.

I may be off a bit, check doc.powerdns.com for detauls

> Now my question(s): Is it possible to do it that way and if yes, how could
> that priority-thing being configured?

The first configured backend gets the first shot to answer. If the data
isn't there, the next one will be queried.

Good luck!