[Pdns-users] best way to persist a large hosts file

matt farey matt.farey at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 16:54:58 UTC 2006

Hi,
I have half a million entries in a hosts file on my gateway, a
workaround to prevent access to these sites while dns is loading.
Can anyone please suggest a way I can persistently load these into a
database so that each time the Pdns service restarts it doesn't have to
parse a 12MB file! (which on my old machine takes 30 hour!)
For instance if it means I have to install MySQL (of which I have
experience - I'm a web developer) I will happily do that, but please can
someone give me a few pointers since I am newbie at Pdns! :)

Thanks for any help.

matt

--
Matthew Farey
25 The Polygon, Southampton, Hants, SO15 2BP, UK