[Pdns-users] Recursion failing on certain records?

Darren Gamble darren.gamble at sjrb.ca
Tue Aug 22 18:52:35 UTC 2006

Hi Kirk,

> Greetings all:
>
> I've been puzzling through some strangeness in our PowerDNS
installations
> here. Recursive queries for certain records/domains have been failing
> consistently for a number of weeks - two examples are:
> 	mail.acegroup.cc
> 	mail.hivelocity.net

This can happen for a number of reasons.

The first troubleshooting step should be asking your different recursors
what NS records they have for this domain, and comparing those (as well
as to what the authoritative server has).  Without that information one
can't really help.

> If I query the authoritative server, I get a SERVFAIL:
>   $ dig @localhost mail.hivelocity.net

This query was directed at the local server, not an authoritative server
for this domain.

There have been a number of fixes put in 3.1.X that help it better
resolve domains in certain corner cases.  The NS records on each server
will reveal the problem.

Hope this helps,

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services