[Pdns-users] Building the latest version from source...

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sat Sep 10 14:50:05 UTC 2005

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 04:35:12PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	If I had a static IP address, I'd be glad to give you access to
> my machine so that you could do testing there.  As it is, I guess
> I'll just have to give you feedback regarding problems I encounter.

A 4.11 system is currently being installed.

> 	I noticed those.  I presume that they are still appropriate to
> the new snapshot tarball?

Snapshots only need an invocation of ./configure, taking care to pass the
proper CXXFLAGS to find Boost.

> 	It's not that PowerDNS itself has that many direct dependencies.
> It's that the things it depends on tend to have a lot of
> dependencies, and those may take a while to build and install before
> you can get back to building the higher-level parts.  Like,
> Subversion depends on neon, Python 2.4, Perl, autoconf, apr, a
> specific version of Berkeley DB, and a whole host of other things.
> Or needing to CVSup in order to get the latest port definitions so
> that I can get closer to a build environment that's likely to work
> better with PowerDNS 2.9.18, and CVSup depends on Modula3, which is
> one of the biggest monster port definitions in the system.

To be brutally honest, I consider the Modula3 dependency and onwards to be
a FreeBSD issue. Subversion does bring in a heap of dependencies but it has
grown to be a staple of open source software, lots of projects have shifted
to it.

When choosing dependencies, I try not to go for out of the way stuff.

Good luck!