[Pdns-users] Building the latest version from source...

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Sep 10 14:35:12 UTC 2005

At 4:16 PM +0200 2005-09-10, bert hubert wrote:

>  It is tested on 5.4-RELEASE, I don't have access to any 4.11 systems.

	If I had a static IP address, I'd be glad to give you access to
my machine so that you could do testing there.  As it is, I guess
I'll just have to give you feedback regarding problems I encounter.

>  I've just released a snapshot release that is easier to build:
>  http://ds9a.nl/pdns/pdns-2.9.19-svn.tar.gz

	Cool.  I'll try that before going direct to Subversion myself,
although I will allow Subversion to continue to build and install.

>  On http://wiki.powerdns.com/projects/trac/wiki/HACKING there are exacting
>  instructions on how to build from Subversion, including FreeBSD specific
>  notes.

	I noticed those.  I presume that they are still appropriate to
the new snapshot tarball?

>  Please let me know if the tarball I released works for you, and what errors
>  you get compiling.

	Will do.

>  PowerDNS only has many dependencies if you decide to build with a lot of
>  database connectivity, you don't have to do that.

	It's not that PowerDNS itself has that many direct dependencies.
It's that the things it depends on tend to have a lot of
dependencies, and those may take a while to build and install before
you can get back to building the higher-level parts.  Like,
Subversion depends on neon, Python 2.4, Perl, autoconf, apr, a
specific version of Berkeley DB, and a whole host of other things.
Or needing to CVSup in order to get the latest port definitions so
that I can get closer to a build environment that's likely to work
better with PowerDNS 2.9.18, and CVSup depends on Modula3, which is
one of the biggest monster port definitions in the system.

	In my case, I'm only enabling support for BIND and MySQL
back-ends, and skipping even the pipe module.

	Of course, I'm going to have a general recommendation that people
use binary packages or install from ports wherever possible, but even
then there may be lots of dependencies that have to be resolved.  And
if they're trying to build from source, they may have quite a bit
more work to do in order to get stuff installed, as opposed to just
letting their system continue to chug along and bring in more stuff
that depends on more other things.

	Anyway, it's not that big of a deal.  Just something to keep in mind.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755