[Pdns-users] Building the latest version from source...

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Sep 10 14:08:22 UTC 2005

At 8:25 PM +0200 2005-09-06, bert hubert wrote:

>  If you want to benchmark bind compatibility mode, you'd do people a favour
>  by testing against 2.9.19-to-be or Subversion, as that will be the default
>  from now on.

	Blargh.  I'm having problems getting 2.9.18 to build at all, and
I have not yet been able to download the latest from Subversion.  My
problem is that I want to show people what it should be like to build
from the latest official tarball, and avoid entanglements with
Subversion, etc....

	I also don't want to use the package or ports stuff, because I
want to try to be relatively platform-agnostic.  And besides, the
current port for 2.9.18 doesn't build on FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE,
anyway.  ;(

	What I'm going to try to do is to fake it.  Go ahead and download
the 2.9.18 tarball, and uncompress that, but then go down into a
different subdirectory (one that includes the 2.9.19-to-be sources
from Subversion), and try to build from that.

	I'm installing Subversion now, but it's found a lot of
dependencies it's got to build, like the previous problems I had with
installing CVSup-without-gui, and the port for PowerDNS 2.9.18 (I
wanted to try that first, to have it go ahead and pull down all the
stuff that would be needed by my platform, so that I didn't have to
try to do all that stuff manually.

	Anyway, just wanted to mention that doing PowerDNS alone is
taking a lot longer and a lot more effort than all the other programs
I'm testing, combined.  I wish this wasn't so painful.  I mean, I can
deal with it, but it's still annoying.  However, others might have
quite a bit more trouble than I've had so far.

	Oh, well.  Here's hoping that Subversion won't take up too much
more time, and I can get working on actually building 2.9.19-to-be.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755