[Pdns-users] Performance & Config

Richard McLean richard at golivehost.com
Sun May 1 15:01:45 UTC 2005

Hi All,

Firstly, let me say that I'm *extremely* happy with pdns, it's brilliant.
This question is more about getting the very last extra bit from pdns
than anything else, and just wondering if anyone had any input into
our current config and ways we can make things even better than
they are.

Hardware is Dual P3/1GHz, 1GB RAM, solely used for pdns.
PowerDNS 2.9.17, compiled from source on CentOS 3.4.
MySQL Max 4.1.10.
Curently handles roughly 6 million queries/month.
70% cache hits, 30% DB queries.
Average latency ~ 0.3ms, ranges from 5-15 queries/sec.

Current Config
gmysql backend
distributor-threads=8

log-dns-details=no
log-failed-updates=no
loglevel=4
query-logging=no

max-tcp-connections=20

cache-ttl=300
query-cache-ttl=300
queue-limit=1500
negquery-cache-ttl=60
recursive-cache-ttl=60

lazy-recursion=yes
recursor=127.0.0.1:5353   (pdns_recursor)

wildcard-url=no
wildcards=yes

If anyone has a minute, is there any setting that stands out that
increasing or decreasing would help improve performance even
more? Queries are increasing roughly 500K month, so looking to
have the most stable and scaleable config possible.

Should we be running more than 8 distributor threads?
Can our cache-ttls be longer without effecting the quality of
the results?

Thanks!

--

cheers,