[Pdns-users] Recommendations for Recursor Setup

Richard McLean richard at golivehost.com
Fri Jul 22 01:39:52 UTC 2005

Hi All,

We currently run our name servers using pdns, with 4 geographically
diverse name servers, and a recursor on our main DNS server. This
serves the needs of all of our web and mail servers.

What is the current recommendation for recursor setup, and where
should they run?

Should we be using local recursors on each server?
Multiple recursors on each of our name servers?

Having just one point of failure with the recursor worries me,
but then there's also talk of problems with multiple recursors
giving different results (at least that's my understanding of
the problem).

How do you have your recursors set up?

cheers,
Richard