[Pdns-users] Recommendations for Recursor Setup

Alan Hodgson ahodgson at simkin.ca
Fri Jul 22 17:46:18 UTC 2005

> Should we be using local recursors on each server?
> Multiple recursors on each of our name servers?

I feel recursors on each machine are somewhat network abusive, especially to
the root and TLD root servers.  Now, having said that, I think there are
cases where it makes sense, but not in general.

I've been moving towards a heartbeat setup for both recursive servers and
authoritative servers; 2 machines, each primary for one auth server and one
recursor, and ready to take over for the other server for maintenance or
crashes when needed.   This avoids timeouts and really any manual
intervention.

--
Alan Hodgson