[Pdns-users] smooth bind to PDNS migration

Lorens Kockum lorens-pdns-3987 at tagged.lorens.org
Tue Nov 16 15:25:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 04:17:02PM +0100, Kristof Hardy wrote:
> >I don't see anything that would prevent you from
> >setting up both databases, with replication, before actually
> >putting them into production, so in your stead I'd probably do
> >that.
>
> Okay, indeed, you're very right.. I will create a master and a slave,
> both on 'standby' and using mysql replication. Is there any way to make
> sure there's a way "back" in case of serious problems? (wich I don't
> expect)

With both bind and pdns on the same machine, it's a matter of
stopping one and starting the other :-) The only conflict is
that they want to bind the same port in order to provide the
same service. By binding to different IP's, I have set un a
production server with bind on one IP and pdns on the other, no
trouble at all.

> I just don't want to take any risks with the serials.

As long as you don't have secondaries not under your
control, serials aren't a big problem. Serials must increase
monotonically, sure, but if you own all the dns servers you can
reset them whenever you want :-) You just have to make sure they
get back in sync.

> I also just found the 'local-port' directive, great for testing it out
> already..

Yes :-)

> >After all, if you're juggling two machines, there is nothing
> >that hinders a mysql database on the bind server existing, and
> >being replicated to from another server :-)
>
> Okay, will go this route, and hopefully nr 4 (celebrate) will get higher
> on the list then ;-) For what I've seen of PowerDNS it seems to be going
> the right direction..

With 700 domains I assume you've thought about the human
interface ? Poweradmin ?

--
#include <std_disclaim.h>                          Lorens Kockum