[Pdns-users] Supermaster / Superslave confusion

Frank Louwers frank at openminds.be
Fri Mar 19 10:14:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 08:41:03AM +0100, Viktor Steinmann wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I'm a bit confused about supermaster / superslave operation. I've read the
> page in the manual over and over again, but it just isn't quite clear to me.
>
> As I understand it, I have to create new domains just on the master (bind,
> djbdns, pdns or any nameserver) and the superslave automatically pulls the
> domain from the master and runs the zone as a slave from that moment on. Am
> I completely wrong or is this the concept?

You define the "master" nameserver as a supermaster in your pdns slave
(you don't want to be slave for the entire world, do you?).

If you add a domain on your master dns-server (any dnsserver that sends
bind-style NOTIFY messages will do), and define your slave ns as one of
the NS records for that domain/zone, your master dns-server will send a
NOTIFY to the slave. At that point, the pdns-slave receives the notify,
notices that it has no info on that domain, but recognises the master-ns
as a "supermaster". It will then automagicly add the domain, perform an
AXFR from the master etc...

This basicly solves the old problem of finding a way to notify slave
dns-servers that a new domain has been added on the master dns server

Kind Regards,
Frank Louwers

--
Openminds bvba                www.openminds.be
Tweebruggenstraat 16  -  9000 Gent  -  Belgium