[Pdns-users] Round Robin Via MYSQL rand()

Martin_List-Petersen at Dell.com Martin_List-Petersen at Dell.com
Tue May 20 14:38:19 UTC 2003

>> I generally feel that randomization should take
>> place in the recursor and not in the authoritative
>> nameserver, but perhaps
>> I'm wrong about that.

> The way i see it, randomization has to take place in the authoritative
> server.
> We use Lazy-recursion, so the request for an authoritative
> name never hits
> the recursor..

Especially because of the possibility to use lazy recursion, the
randomization should take place in the authorative server and not in the
recursor. Placing it in the recursor would just leave us with a half
functioning feature.

Another situation were it would be a mess to have it in the recursor is,
when you don't use recursion. I'm running authorative only (without
recursion) on most dns servers.

Regards,
Martin List-Petersen