[Pdns-users] BIND backend

gkearns at snakeden.org gkearns at snakeden.org
Wed Apr 16 02:05:53 UTC 2003

Hello, list:

I have been experimenting with PowerDNS for a couple days now as a possible
replacement for BIND.

I noticed this blurb in the documentation for the BIND backend:

"On launch, the BindBackend first parses the named.conf to determine which
zones need to be loaded. These will then be parsed and made available for
serving, as they are parsed. So a named.conf with 100.000 zones may take 20
seconds to load, but after 10 seconds, 50.000 zones will already be available.
While a domain is being loaded, it is not yet available, to prevent incomplete
answers."

So, I proceeded to point PowerDNS at my 500,000 zone named.conf and fired it up
in "monitor" mode. As it was parsing the zones, I tried to query it for domains
that had already scrolled past; it wouldn't even accept the connection.

Is this actually supposed to work?

Thanks,
GK