[Pdns-users] Master operation

Adam H.Pendleton fmonkey at fmonkey.net
Wed Apr 16 02:38:38 UTC 2003

I am running PowerDNS 2.9.7 on RedHat 9, and I'm having some issues
operating as a master that I hope someone can help me with.  Basically
I am operating several domains as "master" domains, that is that there
are several NS records for the domain, and I am the master host; the
other NS servers pull their data from me.  I am trying to update
records in the domains; I do so by changing the record, and then
incrementing the serial_number (notified_serial in the docs) field in
the domains table.  I have a feeling that I am missing something, but I
don't know what that is.  In the docs it says that incrementing the
serial number is sufficient to get pdns to send out notifications, but
when I change that field I get the following:

pr 15 22:25:56 gandalf pdns[11481]: Queued notification of domain
'domain.com' to xx.xxx.xx.xxx
Apr 15 22:25:56 gandalf pdns[11489]: Received NOTIFY for domain.com
from yyy.yy.yy.yyy which is not a master
Apr 15 22:25:57 gandalf pdns[11481]: Received unsuccesful notification
report for 'domain.com' from yyy.yy.yy.yyy, rcode: 5
Apr 15 22:25:57 gandalf pdns[11481]: Removed from notification list:
'domain.com' to yyy.yy.yy.yyy

yyy.yy.yy.yyy is the IP address of my DNS server.  What am I doing
wrong?

ahp